header

header

3.13.2008

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

If you are under the age of 30, you will probably not understand anything in today's post...but you can always come back tomorrow.

Anyway, yesterday was one of my running around like a chicken with my head cut off days - cafeteria volunteer work at school, pick up kid from preschool, take dog to vet, explain to vet why dog's coat is all matted...you know. In the midst of this I stop a McD's drive thru and hear someone who sounds just like Jeff Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High on the speaker with the car in front of me. It goes down like this: "Welcome to McDonald's can I take your order?" (now, you should be reading this as if it was Jeff Spicoli. Get into character! There are lots of unspoken "dude"s in there) The kids in the car in front of me begin to order "Yeah, I'll take a cheeseburger and fries and 2 bags of weed, dude! ha ha ha ha ha" to which the speaker responds "Dude..." and then the kids say "Just kidding Matt, it's me John. ha ha ha"

Okay, I'm mildly amused and listening to them make plans to get together this weekend at the window and laugh about the funny joke. I'm kind of laughing in the car behind them. Then it's my turn and I pay with exact change to which he responds "Excellent..."

It's all very funny and I feel like I'm stuck in a bad 80's movie when the realization hits me - if I am in a bad 80's movie, I'm the old lady with the kid that they all make fun of! That is a total bummer and a reality check. These kids (see? I'm calling them kids, like an old lady!) wouldn't even get it if I told them my joke because it was 25 years ago and they weren't alive then! Plus, I paid with exact change which is such an old lady thing to do!

So, there is no moral to this story other than, getting old is a bummer. Thank God I don't drive a mini-van!

Here, if you need a Fast Times refresher, check out this clip:

2 comments:

  1. Jen - you're posts are hilarious - a good laugh is exactly what I need after a long and tiring day. The getting old part hits home - I may just have to rent that movie again!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work