header

header

4.01.2008

Think Green.


It's funny how things have changed over the years. I can remember when I got married, it was all about me. What hors d'oeuvres, which dress, what kind of car to drive us, where to go on our honeymoon... but I'm seeing a trend lately that has me thinking. I was commissioned to make a wedding sign for a "green wedding" last week. The bride explained that they hoped to use things that had been recycled or reclaimed in some way for their wedding.


The prospect was interesting and I set off into the woods behind my house to find the perfect piece of wood. It's still bare around here so as I looked I also noticed all the cans and newspapers that had blown in from the last wind storm. I thought about how much we use and throw away everyday and what kind of world my kids will grow up in...my grand kids?


In my business I try to recycle and reuse as much as possible. It saves me money in packaging, but it also uses something that will otherwise end up in a landfill. It's a treasure trove in Target on Friday mornings as they unpack the weekend stock. I can go and get my fill of boxes and bubble wrap (ooh, bubble wrap) every week. But am I doing enough?


I look at this bride and think about how environmentally conscious she is trying to be on one of my most selfish days. I think this is what we have created in the next generation due to our overuse of resources. We have forced them to always consider their impact. I hope it rubs off on the rest of us.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by! We try to do our part for the Earth...But just my little bit, I wonder is it enough? I hope so and like to think it is. As for your comment. The french fries. I have a recipe where it only uses the calories from the potatos! (best part, no fat in potatoes) If you want it I am going to post it on my diet blog. Just go back to my blog and click where it says "my other blog" on the side bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The music on your blog is really cool! nice touch :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work