header

header

5.10.2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

It's my birthday today and that always reminds me of something my mom used to say to me on my birthday every year. "I wish on your birthday, I could choose an age to have you for just one day." I always thought that was curious and was always like, "ooookay, whatever." but now that I have my own children I really understand what she meant.

Imagine being able to hold your child as an infant once more, to smell that baby breath and feel his soft cheek. Or, maybe to hear that toddler giggle and get a sticky kiss and a hug around the neck. It makes me feel sentimental and get choked up and I really understand what she was trying to say and I wish for the same with my boys.

She's recovering from yesterday's lumpectomy today and I'm sure I will get a phone call later with that wistful wish thrown in at the end of the conversation. I understand now, Mom, and I love you, too.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! - and Happy Mother's Day too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!!!....I'm a May birthday too!!!....I am going to turn your mom's wish into one for my own daughter too!!!!...see you at kickboxing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy happy birthday.
    Every now and then I get that "longing" and wishing my kids were babies and would just snuggle and be so sweet and perfect. I think we all do.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work