header

header

11.10.2011

Baked Kale Chips - Pinterest Pass or Fail



This week I tried Baked Kale Chips from my Cookin' Mama Board. This recipe originated at Smitten Kitchen and sounded pretty good, easy, and healthy. Could it be true?

Check out the directions:

*Rip up kale into bite-sized pieces

*Drizzle with olive oil and mix in a bowl.

*Pour onto a cookie sheet, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes.

It really was that easy!

The chips had such an interesting texture, they kind of shatter in your mouth. I liked the flavor, but they had a burnt aftertaste - I'm not sure if I baked them too long or if that is the flavor of the kale. My youngest son and I had a love/hate thing going. We ate them and liked them until about 30 seconds after we swallowed them. Then we didn't like them anymore, yet we kept coming back for more!

So, with some tweeking I give this Pin a Pass!

Wendy made some Princess Cupcakes she pinned.

What Pins have you tried? Post the link so I can check it out!

12 comments:

  1. Love kale chips. Try baking them a little less time. If they are even slightly overbaked they get bitter and burnt tasting...even if they don't look it.

    I love this series by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting - kale chips! Who would've thought? I can't believe your little fella will eat them - that is impressive!!!! I've gotta make something from my pinterest files so I can play along next week - fun series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound interesting. I love kale.

    I tried a butternut squash and apple soup. Big question mark. Son said it was like eating a large bowl of apple sauce. I'm not sure what it was SUPPOSED to taste like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried cleaning a grungy cookie sheet with peroxide and baking soda... was a total FAIL!! Soooo did not work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds interesting! I'm glad you tried it out and reported to us, because I may not have had the courage to try it. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend makes kale chips all the time, and loves them too! Here's my pinterest made it! http://www.keepingupwiththephelps.com/2011/11/spinach-artichoke-dip-pinterest-i-made.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had these at a gallery opening cocktail party. I remember vividly putting it in my mouth and instantly regretting it! The older crowd loved them. The younger crowd (I am considered 'young' in this setting!) hated them. I agree that they tasted bitter and I would rather eat the kale raw than these chips. I am not sure if there is any middle ground on this one... you either love them or hate them!
    Enjoy the day!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahhah..... Think I'll stick to my Kale and Potato Soup.... most yummy.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not sure how I feel about the idea of kale chips. They sounds very interesting but I can definitely see how they could taste bitter. Thanks for posting a review so I can confirm my suspicions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kale chips are great...well, especially if you're Not eating chips...it's amazing how even the hint of "old junk" makes it taste good!

    This week I made a crocheted giraffe off of pinterest...super easy...especially nice because I found the pattern the day before the baby shower!

    http://survivingmunchkinland.blogspot.com/2011/11/random-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. My latest Pinspiration - http://singlestonestudios.blogspot.com/2011/11/pin-it-do-it_02.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are braver than i! don't think i'll be trying it anytime soon :-) i have however done a few DIY projects from my pinning inspiration! my stuff is not as expensive looking but turned out the way i wanted :-)

    http://www.dizzywindingroad.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work